Hudson Statement on Trump's State of the Union Address
February 5, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 5, 2019
Hudson Statement on Trump’s State of the Union Address
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Today, U.S. Representative Richard Hudson (NC-08) issued the following statement in reaction to President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address:
“President Trump set the right tone tonight calling on Congress to work together and find common ground for the good of our country and our constituents,” said Rep. Hudson. "We’ve accomplished a lot over the past two years: rebuilding our military, combating the opioid epidemic, cutting taxes for working families, reforming the VA, and igniting job growth and a strong economy. I remain committed to working closely with President Trump to build on this bipartisan progress, bolster our military and protect American interests, improve health care for veterans, and lower the cost of health care and improve access for all Americans.”
Over the past two years, President Trump and Congress have delivered on an agenda that increases opportunity for all Americans and made extraordinary achievements, including:
- The biggest tax cuts in history that have led to more jobs and more take-home pay.
- Historic funding to rebuild our military and give our troops their largest pay raise in a decade – last year marking the first on-time annual funding bill for the Department of Defense in 22 years.
- Unprecedented resources and policy changes to fight the opioid epidemic, marking the most significant Congressional effort against a single drug crisis in history.
- Landmark reform to break the bureaucracy at the VA and the largest dollar amount in history for the VA to get our veterans the quality, timely health care they deserve.
- Anti-human trafficking legislation that has decreased online advertising for sex trafficking by up to 80%.
- Policies to build the wall and protect our border, support ICE and target dangerous gangs like MS-13.