Skip to main content

Hudson, Scalise, Bost Defend Veterans' Second Amendment Rights from ATF Overreach

July 27, 2021

Public urged to submit comments against stabilizing brace regulation

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Representative Richard Hudson (NC-08), the House Republican Conference Secretary, hosted a press conference on Tuesday to discuss a new regulation on pistol stabilizing braces proposed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms, Tobacco and Explosives (ATF). Rep. Hudson was joined by Republican Whip Steve Scalise (LA-01), Veterans Affairs Committee Ranking Member Mike Bost (IL-12), and military veterans to discuss how the regulation jeopardizes the Second Amendment, especially the ability of disabled combat veterans to exercise their rights.

"The Biden administration's ATF is attacking our Second Amendment and attacking our veterans," said Rep. Hudson. "Crime is up and Republicans are prepared to address that, but Democrats are determined to go after law-abiding citizens and our Second Amendment. One example is the ATF regulation on stabilizing braces that were designed to enable disable veterans to exercise their rights. This regulation turns law-abiding citizens, including our combat veterans, into felons."

"Today our call to action is simple," continued Rep. Hudson. "Go to Hudson.house.gov and submit a comment to tell the ATF to withdraw this terrible rule."

Watch the full press conference here(link is external).

Image
ATF

Whip Steve Scalise and VA Ranking Member Mike Bost also addressed the press conference.

"It is perplexing to see how the Biden Administration is trying to take away the Second Amendment rights of our disabled veterans," said Whip Scalise. "I would urge every American who wants to stand with our disabled veterans and any other American who believes in the Second Amendment, and the ability for every law-abiding citizen to be able to exercise those rights, to go online now and oppose this rule by the Biden Administration. But more than anything, we call on the Biden Administration to stop this attack on our veterans and just withdraw the rule. Let's allow veterans to exercise their Second Amendment rights since they risked so much in preserving our rights."

"The ATF proposal could hurt thousands of law-abiding, gun-owning veterans simply because they use a stabilizing brace," said Ranking Member Bost. "Disabled veterans have given their country enough. The last thing they should be subject to is absurd fines and government overreach."

The Members were joined by several veterans who voiced opposition to the regulation, including U.S. Army veteran Rick Cicero, who first helped design stabilizing braces. Cicero, a former police officer and retired Paratrooper, was injured in 2010 by an IED in Afghanistan which caused significant damage to his right leg and right arm.

"Stabilizing braces gave me the ability to get back out and shoot things that I never expected I would be able to again and my life changed drastically," said Cicero. "Since then, I have been traveling across the country teaching veterans how to shoot again. That brace is the foundation of everything I do because I can take someone who has limited strength in their hands or is missing digits and give them confidence and the skills and capability to grasp a firearm again and get them back to the things that were such a part of their life."

Image
Rick Cicero

U.S. Army veteran Pablo Cadena, injured in Iraq in 2008, and U.S. Marine veteran Anson Roberts, injured in Iraq in 2007, also spoke.

"If this overreach is allowed, it would make a majority of law-abiding veterans and first responders criminals overnight," said Cadena. "These are the people who answered the call of our great nation."

"This regulation is wrong," said Roberts. "It's taking away the self-defense right for me, for my family or some other person in America who is disabled. I don't have the same strength in my hands or my arms or my legs anymore. Using this device helps me protect my family."

Background

On June 7, the ATF proposed a regulation on stabilizing braces, devices first created to allow disabled veterans to use a firearm. Under the regulation, an individual could become a felon unless they turn in or destroy the firearm, destroy the brace, or pay a tax. Rep. Hudson led 140 Members of the House of Representatives on a letter to Attorney General Merrick Garland and Acting ATF Director Marvin Richardson on June 14, urging the Department of Justice to withdraw the proposed guidance. Forty-eight Senators sent a similar letter on June 24. You can read both letters here(link is external).

In Dec. 2020, Rep. Hudson led efforts against a similar rule proposed by the ATF. Following a letter signed by Hudson and 90 Members of Congress, in addition to widespread feedback during a public comment period, the ATF revoked the rule on Dec. 23, 2020.

At Tuesday's press conference, Members and veterans encouraged the public to submit comments against the new ATF regulation, which is open to public comment until Sept. 8, 2021. A link to submit comments can be found at Hudson.House.Gov/Issues/2a.


###