Skip to main content

Fort Bragg's congressman opposes military dollars for border wall

January 21, 2019

With the federal government entering day 31 of the partial shutdown, questions loom about whether funding for military projects, such as Fort Bragg construction, could be used to fund a wall at the southern border.

President Donald Trump and Democrats in Congress have not been able to find a compromise to end the shutdown, largely over the $5.7 billion wall.

The Department of Defense, which is funded through the end of the fiscal year, has not been affected by the shutdown. But money used for military projects that support the armed forces could be tapped if the president declares a national emergency, according to section 2808 of the U.S. Code.

Trump previously indicated that is an option he might consider to get funding for a border wall.

The statute states that funds appropriated for military construction, including money for family housing, that have not been obligated could be used.

U.S. Rep. Richard Hudson, who represents Fort Bragg, said he is opposed to using those funds for purposes other than what they’re intended to be funded.

“Technically the president could declare a national emergency,” Hudson said, adding that he thinks there is a crisis at the border and it should be secured. “But I think it’s a bad precedent that a future president could declare a national emergency ... I think Congress ought to appropriate the money.”

Hudson said the unobligated funds is not extra money “sitting around,” but rather is planned for needed projects, which could be in study, architecture or design phases.

“Particularly at Fort Bragg, we’ve got a lot of needs for facilities that may not be budgeted and isn’t under contract yet, but that money is desperately needed,” he said.

Last fall, local leaders heard an update on construction projects at Fort Bragg.

The Department of Defense has more than $343 million worth of projects under construction on post and another $699 million in construction projected for the next six years.

Andrew Spendlove, chief of the master planning division at the Fort Bragg Directorate of Public Works, gave the update in November during a meeting of the Regional Land Use Advisory Commission in Fayetteville.

Hudson said there have been drastic cuts to the military during the past 10 years, and the last thing officials are willing to cut are bullets or training.

“Because that means lives of the soldiers,” Hudson said, acknowledging that buildings and maintenance are the first things scrutinized.

Hudson said he’d be opposed to declaring a national emergency and tapping into military construction funds, but he wants to support Trump.

Hudson believes security should be enhanced, and said he is concerned about the amount of heroin that enters the United States through the border.

Republican Sen. Richard Burr and Republican Sen. Thom Tillis were unavailable for comment last week, but Tillis’ office provided a statement saying he supports securing the borders.

Representatives with Tillis’ office said he has expressed concerns about declaring national emergencies instead of going through Congress.
“He also has concerns about how resources and funding could potentially be diverted from North Carolina, including disaster relief and military construction funding,” the statement said.

The statement said Tillis has advocated on behalf of the state’s military installations, including Fort Bragg, during the past four years in office and while serving on the Armed Services Committee.

His office said Tillis has helped secure more than $350 million in military construction projects for Fort Bragg, which his office said “are vital to training and readiness, as well as the quality of life for the service members and families who call Fort Bragg home.”

Tillis’ office representatives said Trump has stated he does not intend to declare a national emergency and that Tillis is working on finding a compromise to end the shutdown.

Hudson said Trump is not asking for a 2,000-mile concrete wall.

“He’s asking for six to eight different security improvements,” Hudson said, including about 200 miles of a barrier. “I think he’s been very reasonable.”

Hudson said Trump has modified the request based on discussions with Democrats, and that he wants a wall in areas where the Department of Homeland Security has said it’s needed.

The other requests Trump is asking for, Hudson said, are more personnel at checkpoints and detention beds. Hudson said he does not think Democratic Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi has been willing to negotiate.

“It’s very frustrating because we’ve got to get this government back open, and we need to be paying the Coast Guard and (Transportation Security Administration) agents,” Hudson said, questioning how to negotiate when one side is willing to make compromises and the other “won’t even come to the table. I just don’t know how we move forward until Nancy Pelosi is willing to sit down to negotiate with us.”